INGREDIENTS (for 12 spring rolls and 1/2 cup dipping sauce)
FISH SAUCE DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (Nuoc Mam)
- 0,5 teaspoon long red chili, de-seeded and minced
- 0,5 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 0,5 teaspoon grated ginger
- 400 g prawns (about 20 prawns)
- 250-300g pangasius fillet
- 240 g rice noodle (”bún”)
- 12 thick rice papers or a little bit more in case you broke a few (“bánh tráng”)
- 12 green lettuce leaves cut into Julienne (“xà lách”)
- 40 g Vietnamese fresh basil (“húng quế”)
- 40 g fresh mint (“húng cây”)
- 100 g bean sprouts without the yellow part (optional) (“giá”)
- 1 bunch of Vietnamese chive cut into lengths (“hẹ lá”)
- Peanut sauce for dipping
- 250-300g pangasius fillet for 8-12 rolls
- 1 whole ginger, cut into slices
- 4-6 lemongrass stalks, cut the spiky top, use mostly the white part for best aroma.
- Rinse the fish under cold water, then dry pat with paper towel. Lightly season with salt and pepper, since we will have a dipping sauce, there’s no need to heavily season the fish.
- In a heatproof plate, make a layer of ginger slices and bruised lemongrass white, then place the fish fillet on top. Put the plate into the steamer, cover and steam for about 6-8 minutes, until the inside fish turn opaque all the way through.
- In a saucepan bring water to a boil with a pinch of salt.
- Add prawns and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes until pink. Remove prawns and cool in iced water. Peel and cut in 2 parts prawns and then set aside.
FISH SAUCE DIPPING SAUCE
- In a bowl add lime juice, water, sugar and fish sauce. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved completely.
- Then add chopped chili, chopped garlic, grated ginger and mix again.
- Adjust with more fish sauce or chili at your convenience.
WRAP AND ROLL!
- To make the fresh rolls briefly dip a rice paper in a bowl of water until soft (or just wet a little bit the rice paper with your fingers).
- Remove and place on a dry surface and smoothing it with your fingers.
- Place the lettuce julienne onto the rice paper close to your body with a bit of rice noodles and top with some basil, mint and bean sprouts.
- Add a chunk of steamed pangasius then a line of 2 to 3 pieces of prawns.
- Fold the 2 sides parallel and roll up tightly, press to seal with a little bit of water.
- Serve the fresh spring rolls with a bowl dipping sauce on the side
Source: Saigon Cooking Class